May 4, 2011

No Playoff = Antitrust Violations? What Is The World Coming To?

     I stumbled upon this article today, which says that the antitrust chief of the Justice Department has asked the NCAA President why there is no FBS playoff.  Despite many people's objections to the BCS, there are a lot of good reasons to use that system instead of the traditional format.  Mainly, it's different.  It provides a unique kind of excitement that you don't get any other time of the year.  It rewards teams for giving the extra effort needed to go 13-0 rather than 12-1.  It allows fans to argue whether or not a team deserves a championship berth based on what they've done rather than guessing who's going to win a certain playoff game.  I really like the BCS.
     The sad part about this whole issue is that everyone is missing the point.  The BCS National Championship is probably the only legal thing about the BCS.  All teams are invited to schedule tough opponents and win every game.  It's completely fair.  The problem is the bowl games with automatic qualifiers and the fact that some schools get more money than others.  You could institute any kind of playoff and still have these problems.  The NCAA isn't avoiding a playoff because they want more money, it's just because how they determine the champion now is really cool.

1 comment:

  1. I saw something you posted May 3 asking for sites and help. It seems like you and I started the same time.I have your site on my list and as new guys mayble we can help each other. My email is www.sportshistory365@gmail.com and the site is sportshistory365 . If you want send me an email and we can exchange ideas etc..I really do like the site by the way

    ReplyDelete