October 5, 2011

My Thoughts On Tony Romo

    
     I've been watching a lot of SportsNation lately, and the most interesting discussions on the show have been about Tony Romo.  The Cowboys QB has blown 2 pretty sizable 4th quarter leads already this year, and again people are questioning Tony's clutchness and level of ability.  Because those people are starting to aggravate me, I'm offering you a sloppily written, fake question-and-answer piece about Romo.  Enjoy.

Tony Romo is not a great QB.

He has a career QB rating of 95.3!  Even this year, as bad as he's been made out to be, his QB rating is 92.9.

Who cares about stats?  All that matters is wins and losses.

He's won 63% of his games...

He's also only won one playoff game.

I love this argument so much.  It's like everybody is so desperate to find a reason to discredit Romo, that once the "stats" argument and the "wins" argument are proven false, all they have left is this and the subsequent "rings" argument.  What a horribly simplistic way of looking at things!  It gives off a vibe that says, "I don't want to think that hard about the skill level of a quarterback.  There must be some simple way of judging them that can't be argued against."

There are 21 other starters on your team that determine whether or not you win.  Nobody is saying that LaDainian Tomlinson wasn't great because he has no rings.

He isn't the team leader.

How about Brian Urlacher, who is way more respected than any QB the Bears have had?  He's the captain of his side of the ball, just like a quarterback.  I've never heard anyone question his greatness due to lack of championships.

Okay, I get it.  You like Romo.  Do you think he's "clutch"?


Absolutely not.  In the past, I was willing to write off his awful losses as a series of freak occurrences.  But I feel now that he's had enough poor performances under pressure for me to know that he really can't handle it.

Therefore, he's not a good QB, right?

Wrong.  There's more to a game than the 4th quarter.  You have to play 3 good quarters to get to a point where the 4th matters.  If you play really well, you can basically skip the 4th quarter altogether.  And Tony Romo is awesome in the first 3 quarters, which is why he wins 63% of his games even with those blown leads.

Do you trust Tony Romo?

It depends on the situation.  If he has a 3-point lead with 5 minutes left, then no.  But if I'm coaching one game, and you tell me my QB is Romo, I would definitely trust him to get me a win.

Will he ever win a championship?

Probably not.  The only way it would happen is if he ended up in two blowout wins and lucked into a close win.  I just can't see Romo winning three close games in a row, and against such good teams, that's going to be the case more often than not.  And as disappointed as he'll be if he never gets a ring, he should still be happy with his NFL career.  It's been really, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment